Well Fawm is over and like a boat cut from it's moorings i drift aimless again. I managed a modest 5 songs with the bones of about three others unrecorded. The feedback was great, got lots of it, lots of good comments and then not so much bad comments, I think ye all clamed up when ye heard the stuff you weren't mad about.
So what I have learned is this, it's very possible to sit down and write an album's worth of material in a month especially if you are doing it full-time, I had about 2-3 hours in the evening to write, record, post and blog and managed to equal the number of songs i had written in the past three years (my instrumental period). I guess you learn from similar tasks done in relatively quick succession because your not as likely to forget your mistakes.
There were a few great songwriters on the site who gave some excellent feedback. Phil Norman and Burr Settles (who started FAWM) have some great songs. You should check them out. The benefit of having so many heads sit down and do the same thing and be forced to post regularly is huge, everybody seems to get clued in very quickly to what works and what doesn't. Even if you write 14 crap songs thats 14 crap songs you were going to have to write anyway before you write the good stuff. It really is a win win exercise. And it applies to all types of writing, the Fawm idea was borrowed from a poetry writing month or novel writing month.
So if you're itching to write some music, or poetry or paint but are lacking gumption get on to one of these forums, everybody is in the same boat. The criticsim is very constructive and positive.
I'm going to keep up the pace of the songwriting and will continue to post it here. It's doing a lot for my interest and my outlook, everything adopts an angle when you think in terms of trying to reproduce what you see in an original light. It's like capitalizing on everyday experiences, something fairly ordinary can get your imagination going. Then i'll look at re-recording the stuff properly if i can meet some good musicians to play on an album, using some of the Fawm songs and some of new stuff. I may do a bit of playing in the cellar at some stage. I bumped into the regular acoustic duo they have there they do a cracking version of tom waits' ice-cream man, they said there is a bit of work going.
So in summary, thanks for all your feedback, the musical momentum will continue as fast as i can maintain it. I'll continue to post new music to the blog, i will also get a proper player with all the Fawm songs and others up, this one song job doesn't cut the mustard. I think the FAWM site will be active for a while, if you want to download some of the tracks.
Thanks again,
Be good,
Gav.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment