Hi all,
I've just finished writing and recording my fourth song for February Album Writing month. It's called "The chapel and the Stream" it's about an aged drifter and his wife arguing over who was responsible for them marrying. It's another bluesy/gospel type song with an emphasis on rythym and harmony. I've lost my objectivity as far as this one is concerned so I'm dependent on feedback.
It's posted on the music player to the right and also at my FAWM page where you can also get the lyrics. It was written as part of the week 3 challenge for fawm. The challenge was to write a duet or a song about something shown from two perspectives, hence the harmonies and shift in lyrical perspective in the second verse. So I think the song accomplishes it to a reasonable degree but whether or not it makes for good listening is another day's work. There are only 3 more days of FAWM left so I obviously won't be hitting the 14 track mark I may get one other song done.
As always, feel free to post your comments below, or e-mail etc.
Be good,
Gav.
P.S. I just discovered there are forums on FAWM where you can discuss different aspects of the FAWM experience. I found this in the "best unheard fawmers/fawm songs" forum by a songwriter called Maeflower:
"Man, it's been a while since I took the time to listen to people's tracks and I am BLOWN AWAY by the quality of what everyone's writing. Here's one that knocked the two-chord challenge out of the park...by Gavin Corley/Bureaudio called Whistling Windows. It's told from the point of view of an apartment building, and the harmonies are to die for!"
and yes i did go looking for my name in this forum.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hey Gav,
Me thinks that you are going to be doing more music related work than college related work once the Galway vibe really kicks in!!! Keep up the work man
Hi Gavin, You don't know me but I took a listen to your track based on a recommendation and I have to say You're a Star lost out there :) But in all seriousness I think you're genuinely very talented in a Jeff Buckley/Johnny Cash kind of a way so if I see you strumming around my hometown of Galway at the weekends I'll be sure and throw you a euro.
Thank you. That has probably been one of the nicest comments i have received. It's greatly appreciated, I'm delighted you enjoy the music. I have always managed to get my kicks from writing and recording the music with little performance. Maybe Galway will drag me out of my shell. Yours is a great city, I look forward to my few years here. Thanks again.
hey gav,
I really enjoyed the last two songs, really mellow and I really liked the harmonies. It sounds like some of the music I've heard here in Texas, mix between blues and folk. It suits your voice alot.Thumbs up from the rest of the lab as well!!
Thanks Meabh, glad you liked the music. Thanks for posting. Sounds like I might like this Heuston of yours. I really love that blues and soul stuff, there is an area in the southern states called the blues delta, where a lot of the great bluesmen came from, it's definatly one for the list of things to see before i die. Thanks again for the post
Post a Comment